The Assistant Electrician is responsible for supporting the maintenance of all electrical equipment and systems as directed by the Chief Electrical Engineer to ensure safety operation, environmental protection and passenger comfort.
In order to consistently exceed guest expectations and provide the highest levels of product and services, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
- While performing the essential functions of this job, all team members are required to stand; walk long distances on the ship; use hands to touch, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear and taste or smell.
- All vessel positions require repetitive motion of bending, climbing, going up and down stairs and lifting more than 25 pounds. This job requires specific vision abilities to include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- All team members must be physically able to participate in emergency lifesaving procedures and drills. All vessel positions require full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats.
- Work within different temperature changes – indoors to outdoors.
- Able to pass basic safety course.
- This is a minimal description of duties. Other work requirements may be necessary and assigned as business or maritime law dictates.
- Responsible for the maintenance and repair of any electrical systems onboard as directed by the Chief Electrical Engineer.
- Must have good knowledge of the electrical equipment in the hotel and galley areas.
- Responsible for reporting any concerns with the electrical systems to the Chief Electrical Engineer.
- Must have initiative, be proficient in electrical trouble shooting, solve electrical problems and work independently.
- Must know the location of all the major distribution panes, in order to be able to shut down power in the event of any failures, fire or maintenance work.
- The Assistant Electrician must be familiar with safety routines and ensure that the necessary safeguards are in place before any maintenance/repair work commences.
- Awareness of Class Rules and industry standards are in the implications of any modifications to electrical systems.
- Must be familiar with the Safety Management System including his/her responsibilities in the Safety Organization according to the emergency Plan and Station Bill. Must be familiar with the Safety and Environmental Protection Policy and the SEMS, and carry out the policies and procedures appropriate for his/her position.
- Must be able to efficiently maintain electrical equipment and not use unnecessary spare parts.
- Must be able to efficiently solve electrical problems.
NATURE AND SCOPE
- Assumes all duties deemed necessary by the Chief Electrical Engineer.
- Initiates and maintains effective employee relations at all times.
- 2 – 3 years relevant experience.
- Fluent in English (written and verbal)
LICENSES – THE FOLLOWING LICENSES ARE REQUIRED TO CARRY OUT THE DUTIES OF THIS POSITION: Please list all necessary licenses, certifications or documentation required for this position.
- Valid Medical Certificate
- Valid C1/D Visa
STCW – Company Required Certificates
- Basic Safety Course
- Proficiency in Survival Craft ad Rescue Boats other than Fast Rescue Boats
- Crowd Management – Passenger Safety
- Crisis Management and Human Behavior
- Basic Safety Familiarization (On Assignment)
- Ship Specific Familiarization (On Assignment)
- Illegal Drug Lecture
- Respiratory Protection