The role of Junior Guest Relations Officer (JGRO) centers around effective and consistent communication made available for all guests in order to ensure total guest satisfaction. The JGRO is ultimately responsible for interacting in a professional manner at all times when in guest contact whether at the Guest Relations Desk or on the switchboard. Exemplary problem resolution skills, keen listening skills, engaging social skills, and organizational skills are key to resolving all service recovery challenges. The JGRO will consistently maintain the departmental and company integrity by accepting ownership for all service recovery initiatives and interactions.
All duties and responsibilities are to be performed in accordance with the Company’s Safety, Quality and Environmental standards. In accordance with the Company’s Service and Etiquette Philosophy program, each employee shall conduct oneself in a professional and courteous manner at all times. This consists of physical and verbal interactions with guests or fellow shipboard employees, in the presence of guests or in crewmember areas.
- Operates switchboard equipment to answer questions and take a variety of requests. Takes room service orders, wake-up call requests.
- Provides guests and fellow crewmembers with information, handles special requests and forwards repair requests to the appropriate department.
- Organizes orders and relays orders to service personnel for preparation. Monitors the Purser’s Log to ensure all maintenance issues are resolved to total guest’s satisfaction.
- The JGRO will be accountable for all service recovery challenges communicated by guests and fielded to the relevant departments. A follow-up call will be made immediately to the guest to ensure total satisfaction is achieved. The JGRO will be responsible for logging the service failure in the Logbook and keeping the Assistant Guest Relations Manager/Guest Relations Manager informed.
- Pages personnel upon request and follows up to ensure requested issues are resolved.
- Receives babysitting requests and coordinates with the Chief Housekeeper to accommodate the request.
- Calls guests to ensure satisfaction with room service delivery and food quality. Tracks room service delivery times and guest comments.
- Answers inquiries pertaining to Guest Relations services and general information. Responds to guest concerns in a considerate, professional and positive manner by showing empathy and listening actively. Takes ownership of guest concerns, by following-up and ensuring complaints are resolved to the guest’s satisfaction.
- Maintains Guest Resolution Log.
- Maintains knowledge of all ship’s regular events and special functions by reviewing all available sources (vessel’s Daily Program, etc.) in order to provide guests with accurate information to answer questions and handle special requests.
- The JGRO will be scheduled regularly at the Guest Relations Desk to cross-train and gain the experience of the GRO duties and exposure of face-to-face interactions with guests. This will aid the JGRO in preparation for future career development within the Guest Relations Department.
- At no time will the JGRO be required to handle or assist with any/all Bank, BOA or cash-handling duties.
- Assembles brochures, reports, etc. for the Guest Relations operations.
- Continually updates the Assistant Guest Relations Manager on all pending/potential problems or issues.
- All records and reports received onboard the vessel are Company property and shall be considered confidential. The JGRO on duty receiving such documents should not discuss these documents with anyone outside the Company or with any other crewmember.
- The JGRO will maintain strict confidentiality with records, reports, information and incoming telephone calls received while on duty as well as any outgoing telephone calls placed for guests.
- Responsible to expedite incoming and outgoing guests faxes.
- In the event of a Star Code, the JGRO is responsible to contact everyone involved immediately.
- Ensures all deliveries brought to Guest Relations by various departments are delivered to respective person in a timely manner.
- Responsible to assist with the preparation and implementation of the guests’ Sea Pass in the keycard holder.
- Maintains telecommunications area and materials in an organized and orderly manner. Ensures equipment is operational. Reports and tracks maintenance issues.
- Understands the Safety & Quality Management Program, and his/her responsibilities in the Safety Organization according to the Emergency plan and
- Station Bill. Must be available, capable and ready to act in the event of an emergency.
- Attends meetings, training activities, courses and all other work-related activities as required.
- Performs related duties as required. This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the shipboard employee occupying this position. Shipboard employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
- As needed, under the guidance of the Hotel Director, may be called upon to assist with Star Code duties, and/or following a Star Code, to assist a guest.
Financial responsibilities for budget, expenses and/or achievement of revenue targets.
- This position is responsible for indirect cost containment through the proper use, handling and maintenance of records, reports, printed materials and equipment.
People management responsibilities to ensure optimal performance of the function.
- This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Minimum hiring, language and physical requirements to perform the job.
- Minimum one year experience in a customer contact position within the food, beverage, hotel, cruise ship or related industry.
- Ability to operate a telephone switchboard console and deal with high call volume effectively.
- Superior customer service and conflict resolution skills.
- Very strong communication, problem solving, decision making, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively speak and write English.
- Ability to operate basic office equipment, including telephones, computers and copy machines.
- Completion of high school or basic education equivalency preferred.
Internal Candidate Requirements:
In addition to the stated hiring requirements, internal candidates are required to fulfill the following:
- Completion of one contract with a performance rating of satisfactory or above along with demonstrated leadership skills.
- Ability to speak English clearly, distinctly and cordially with guests.
- Ability to read and write English in order to understand and interpret written procedures. This includes the ability to give and receive instructions in written and verbal forms and to effectively present information and respond to questions from guests, supervisors and co-workers.
- Ability to speak additional languages such as Spanish, French or German preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
All shipboard employees must be physically able to participate in emergency lifesaving procedures and drills. Full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities are required to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats. Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.